Tips for Avoiding Spring Break Germs
While taking off for spring break is amazing, the added germs coming from crowds of people are less exciting. There is nothing worse than coming home from a week of adventures with a bit of a cold or some other sickness picked up on the road. The good news is, you don’t have to let the germs conquer you on your road trip. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
Bring Along Sanitizing Products
Whether you are out for the day or the week, having a few items on hand can make a world of difference. Items such as hand sanitizer, cleansing wipes, and even a kid-safe all-purpose cleaner can be game-changers for your trip. With a few small tweaks to your normal vacation routine, you can keep germs at bay. Spending as little as half an hour to an hour of prep time before you leave can make a world of difference. Here are a few things to consider:
- Bring an all-purpose cleaner in a travel bottle - When sitting down to eat at most restaurants, you’re taking the staff’s word for it that it is clean. Staff at some establishments can get busy and it may not be as clean as you’d hope. Use a small travel spray bottle with kid-safe cleaner to spray down the table. Then wipe it down with napkins or a microfiber cloth. This will let you eat your meal confidently. This is also great for shopping cart handles, strollers, and other items you frequently touch!
- Put together an on-the-go pouch - This pouch, purse, or bag can include items such as hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. Having these on hand is a great help if you are planning to be somewhere hands-on. Cleaning hands regularly has been proven to drastically cut down on germs. If you have small children, this pouch would also be a place to include backup pacifiers or small toys if theirs gets dropped/dirty.
- Opt for disposable items or have a dedicated bag - If you are using items such as masks or hand wipes to help avoid germs, using a disposable option will help you to carry fewer germs around. If you want to use a reusable option, it can help to have a separate pouch or bag to store those items in. It will help you to avoid reusing items that have already been exposed to a variety of germs.
Plan Ahead for the Hotel or Resort
Are you planning on staying at a hotel, resort, or even renting a vacation home? There are a few important things to do when you first arrive that will help to stop the spread of germs. Staying at a hotel is meant to be a relaxing experience. Worrying about germs can definitely take away from the experience. Here are a few ideas to help you make the most of your stay:
- Bring a few cleaning products along - Vacation isn’t the time for cleaning! In fact, most people want a break from cleaning when on vacation. But a quick wipe down when you arrive can wash the germs and worries away. Bring along a kid-safe all-purpose cleaner as well as microfiber cloths. This will allow you to wipe down common surfaces quickly to cut down on germs in the room.
- Clean the coffee pot before using it - Bring along a small container of vinegar if you plan to use the hotel coffee maker. Run a 1:1 solution of water and vinegar through the coffee maker. You will then want to run just water through the coffee maker twice before making coffee. By doing this, you will get a fresh clean cup of coffee that you can safely enjoy.
- Bring along slippers/socks - While shoes should always be left at the door, there is no way of knowing how clean the floors are in a hotel or resort. Bring along slippers or socks to walk around the rooms in. It will help you to be able to keep from stepping on unknown germs. It helps to have a pouch or container in your suitcase for these slippers or socks so that they are not stored with your clean clothing.
Have a Few Simple Things Planned for the Car
When on vacation it’s typical to spend a lot of time in the car. This can include eating, sleeping, or just trying to relax while getting from point a to point b. The car can also be a place where many germs can find themselves. It helps to have a few simple things planned for the car to cut down on germs. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Make sure your hand sanitizer items are accessible - Eating on the go is not uncommon when on vacation. Keep items where they are easily accessible so that you can clean your hands before eating on the go. Some options to consider are hand sanitizer or kid-safe hand sanitizing wipes.
- Have a bag/container for disposing of garbage - One of the quickest ways for mess and germs in the car is the accumulation of garbage everywhere with nowhere to put it. Having a bag or container for the garbage can be a big help. Take the time to dispose of these items at each pit stop for a clean and healthy car.
- Spray down big items before returning them to the car - Items such as camping chairs, scooters, and coolers can quickly become a home for germs. Use your kid-safe all-purpose cleaner as well as microfiber cloths to spray down these items and wipe away germs before putting them back in the car. This small action can have a huge impact!