Your gutters are often working quietly to protect your home. However, gutters that aren’t cared for can actually damage your home’s value. When gutters are properly maintained they can reduce the risk of many types of damage to your home. Poorly maintained or unclean gutters can do the opposite. We want to share a few ways ignoring your gutters can cost you and an easy way to fix it!
Ignoring Your Gutters Can Cost You!
No one sets out to ignore a part of their home. Life gets busy and the to-do list can get very long. Gutters can often seem like a chore that is ok to put off. This can fit with the out of sight out of mind way of thinking. However, leaving gutters unchecked can make your to-do list considerably longer. Here are a few things that unchecked gutters can cause.
One of the biggest areas of concern when it comes to gutters is the issue of clogs. So often leaves and debris can build up in your gutters. If they are not removed regularly your gutters can get clogged. When gutters are clogged, that water has to go somewhere. That will mean you are more likely to end up with roof leaks or even leaks inside of the walls.
3 Areas to Check Your Gutters for Clogs:
- In the top of the gutters – When cleaning gutters, you will find that the debris and leaves will accumulate in the actual gutters. You can find a video at the end of this article with tips for safely removing clogs from your gutters.
- Where the gutter meets the downspout – Oftentimes the clog will happen where the water would normally exit the gutters. This means that the overflow of water will go to other places.
- At the bottom of the gutter drain pipe – Another area that can often get clogged is the bottom of the gutter drain pipe. Take a few minutes to clean this area and be sure that water can flow freely from your gutters away from your home.
Swollen or Sagging Gutters
Do your gutters look different from when they were first installed? This can include warping, swelling, or sagging of the gutters. While small changes can be normal, noticeable changes to the gutter’s size or positioning can cause problems for your home. When the gutters are not working efficiently they are more prone to leaks which can damage your home’s foundation. Gutters that do not look the way that they should might be doing damage without you realizing it but here are a few things you can check.
3 Types of Damage to Check Your Gutters For:
- Swelling – If your gutters are swelling it could be because of excess water or debris inside of them. The video at the bottom of this article will walk you through tips to clean this out.
- Sagging – If your gutters are sagging, it could be due to an overfill of water or due to the breakdown of some part of their supports. Take the time to check and repair these areas. If you do not repair them, you risk leaks in your walls and foundation damage.
- Cracks/Holes – When checking your gutters, you will want to check for cracks and holes. This type of damage can cause long term damage to your home. Routine cleaning and repairs can help you to avoid cracks/holes.
Signs of Gutter Problems
While some of the above items may be a good indicator of issues, there are additional signs to keep an eye on. Knowing what to look for can save you money and stress down the road. Some fixes can cost you only time or only a few dollars. If left alone for too long, they can turn into problems that will cost you thousands of dollars. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Water pouring out of gutters – The water should only be coming from the downspouts. If you see water coming out of the gutters, it could mean that they are clogged or damaged. Fixing them at this point will save you stress later.
- Standing water in gutters – If there is standing water in your gutters it means they are not properly draining. Gutters should drain via the downspout. Watch the video at the bottom of this article for tips on how to clean your gutters.
- Cracks in the foundation – Cracks in your foundation can come from water that is not being properly moved away from the foundation of your home. This can be related to an issue with your gutters. Finding and repairing cracks can save you a great deal of money down the road.
- Puddles around your home’s foundation after the rain – If you are noticing puddles around the foundation of your home after the rain it could be due to faulty gutter draining. If your gutters are functioning properly they should be directing water away from your home. (Fixing these puddles can also cut down on mosquitoes as they’re attracted to standing water.)
- Water leaking into your basement – When gutters are not properly draining they can leave water near the home’s foundation. This can leak into the basement and cause more serious problems and even cause mold to start to grow.
- Erosion around landscaping – If you are noticing that plants and soil are starting to erode close to your home, this could be due to faulty draining of your gutters. If water is pouring too close to your home it can cause this erosion. Your gutters should be pulling water away from the home.
Cleaning Your Gutters
You don’t have to let the items above stress you. We are happy to help you by creating a bundle that provides everything you need to quickly, easily, and safely clean your gutters. At Healthier Home Products we have put together a video guide to help you. Even better, we have created products that are safe, good for the environment, and let you get the job done fairly simply.