A Deep Dive on Carpet Cleaning
Some carpet cleaners are harmful to your carpets and your health!
When planning to clean your carpets, it is important to look at the products you are using. Not all carpet cleaners are created equal. In fact, some will harm your carpets. Others can have long-lasting health implications. Choosing the right carpet cleaner for the job isn’t just about fighting stains. Here are a few things to keep in mind when looking at carpet cleaners:
Potentially Toxic Chemicals in Carpet Cleaners:
- Perchloroethylene – This chemical used in many carpet cleaners has been known to cause nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and more! This can be found in many carpet cleaners and you may not even be aware of the impact it is having on your health until you’ve been using it for a while.
- Naphthalene – This chemical used in many carpet cleaners has been known to cause confusion, nausea, vomiting, and more when used in the home for an extended time. Naphthalene is derived from coal tar and is commonly used as a pesticide to kill moths and other small insects.
- Butyloxy Ethanol – This chemical used in many carpet cleaners has been known to cause a variety of symptoms including nausea and respiratory irritation. Use over time can also add to the severity of pre-existing conditions.
*Pro Tip - Replace your toxic carpet cleaner with our safe carpet cleaner that won’t harm your carpets or your health! When using a product such as this, you get all of the cleaning benefits other products promise without any of the harmful chemicals that will harm both your floors and your family’s overall health.
Avoid procrastination when it comes to your carpets
One of the biggest ways carpets become problematic is with things that are left to sit over time. So often spills and messes get left for later. This means that a quick cleanup becomes a stain that is much more difficult to remove. Spending a bit of time upfront can save you a great deal of work later. Here are a few tips for skipping procrastination with your carpets:
- Keep a carpet stain cleaner on hand - One of the best ways to avoid stains and long-term messes is to keep a quality carpet stain cleaner on hand. This will allow you to quickly treat spills when they happen. It can also help to avoid bigger problems later. In general, it is helpful to have a carpet cleaner as well as a small towel to quickly and effectively clean up messes when they happen.
- Make sure you have a pet odor-removing cleaner - Do you have pets? They leave behind messes and can quickly leave your carpets smelling less than their best. Keeping a pet odor eliminator on hand can help to quickly treat pet messes to avoid bigger issues later. Using a pet odor eliminator when cleaning your floors can help to prevent the build-up of smells and help keep carpets fresher longer.
- Don’t “save it for later” - One of the biggest issues with carpet cleaning is the “save it for later” mentality. This mentality can lead to stained and smelly carpets that involve a great deal more work to clean. By setting a clean as it happens mentality as the normal for the household, you will be able to keep carpets cleaner longer and extend the overall life of your carpets.
Carpet cleaning doesn’t need to be expensive and time-consuming
When most people think about cleaning their carpets, they assume they need to set up expensive services and invest hours upon hours. While this may be the way things used to be done, it doesn’t have to be the case for you. In fact, there are some quick and cost-effective ways to effectively clean your carpets. Using the right products in the right way can have a lasting impact! Here are a few things to consider:
- Avoid carpet cleaning companies - It can seem simple to bring in a carpet cleaning company to handle the carpets for you. However, these companies can actually make more work for you in the long run. Some carpet cleaners actually leave behind a residue on the carpet’s surface. This residue then waits for a mess of some sort to come in contact with it, whether that is dirt on the bottom of the shoe or something similar. That dirt then sticks to this residue on the carpet giving the appearance that the stain came back. This is called re-soiling. Instead, use a steamer carpet cleaner that doesn’t cause re-soiling!
- Eliminate pet odors effectively - One of the biggest reasons people will invest countless hours into carpet cleaning is the smell pets leave in carpets. This can be because of soiling or because of the odor that naturally is associated with the pet. Using a pet odor-eliminating product on your floors can help to remove these smells while keeping carpets cleaner longer.
- Don’t underestimate prevention! - When working with carpets, prevention can be your best cleaning life hack! Setting up a shoe station at the door to avoid tracking in the dirt is one of the biggest things you can do to cut down on messes. It can also be very helpful to have a way to wipe down pet paws after they come in. This little bit of prevention will help you avoid time-consuming cleaning later. Another great way to prevent messes is to set up stations for toys, school clothes, and other items that can track dirt into the home.