Cleaning the toilet the right way can make a world of difference. Yes, there’s a right way to clean a toilet! Even more than that, there are things you could be doing that work against you when you are trying to get your toilet cleaned. The good news is, that there are some simple things you can do to make sure your flusher gets clean and stays that way!
The Right Way to Clean a Toilet
There Are Hidden Areas on Your Toilet!
This may seem counterintuitive. After all, it’s a toilet. That said, when it comes to cleaning, there are areas that are hidden and often overlooked. Spending a few minutes on these areas can have a lasting impact on the cleanliness of your toilet and your bathroom as well. Here are a few areas to consider:
- Behind the toilet seat – One area that is often overlooked when cleaning the toilet is the area directly behind the toilet seat and below the water tank. This area can quickly become problematic if it is left uncared for. Use an all-purpose cleaner to spray this area. Let the cleaning product sit for a minute and then wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.
- Bottom of the toilet – Another area that is often neglected is the bottom of the toilet. While many will clean the floors around the toilet, the base of the toilet and the back of the toilet is often overlooked. Take a few minutes to use an all-purpose cleaner to properly clean the bottom of your toilet.
- Beneath the tank – The area directly beneath the water tank of your toilet can be an area where messes can accumulate. It can help to test to make sure there is no leak and also to clean this underside area in case there is any residue that needs to be wiped down with an all-purpose cleaner. If there is a leak when you are cleaning this area, take the time to repair it. Leaks can cause bigger messes down the road. Spending a few minutes fixing them can save you a great deal of stress later on.
You Can Fix Stubborn Messes
When cleaning the toilet, sometimes there are stubborn stains and messes that are more difficult to clean. These can leave even the cleanest person feeling defeated. The good news is, that there are some simple ways to resolve these issues. Even better, most of these tips will involve minimal time from you. This will give you a clean toilet with less stress. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Stained Toilet Bowl Bottoms – One of the biggest complaints you’ll hear from people is a stain around the inside of the toilet bowl. It is most commonly found in the curve at the bottom of the toilet bowl. If you have these stains there are two steps you can take to resolve the issue. The first is to buy a toilet pumice stone and scrub off some of the stubborn stains. The second is to drain the toilet, cut off the water, and use the Bathroom Magic Smart Gel to treat the area. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe away stains.
- Toilet Seats – Another area that often sees messes and stains is the underside of a toilet seat. These unsightly stains don’t have to be permanent though. Treat the area with Bathroom Magic Smart Gel and let it sit for three to five minutes. After the time has passed, wipe down the area and wipe away these unsightly messes. This will also make your toilet seat last longer.
- The Outer Toilet Bowl – Often people will worry about the inside of the toilet or deal with the floor around it but fail to care for the outside of the toilet bowl. This area can quickly accumulate messes and even stains if it’s not cared for regularly. Use an all-purpose cleaner to spray down the outside of your toilet bowl. You should be able to easily wipe away messes and have a cleaner toilet bowl.
You Could be Making Your Toilet Dirtier!
Did you know that the way you clean your toilet could actually make it dirtier? There are some common cleaning methods used for toilets that aren’t great for your toilet. The good news is, these are simple to remedy for a better overall cleaning of your toilet area. Even better, they’re easy to implement and won’t cost you much time. Here are a few ways you might be making your toilet dirtier when cleaning:
- Rethink your toilet brushes! – Toilet brushes are often kept by the toilet as a quick way to wipe down the toilet bowl when you notice it looking less than its best. These brushes are often returned to a holder without being cleaned and hold a variety of dirt/germs. If you are going to use a toilet brush, it is important to have a routine for sanitizing them after use. Spray the entire brush with all-purpose cleaner after use or pour a small bit of boiling water over the brush to sanitize it.
- Don’t be afraid to switch up your washcloths – When cleaning an area like the toilet, many people will use the same washcloth to clean all surfaces of the toilet. Some will even dip into the toilet water for a quick rinse. When cleaning the outside of the toilet, you can use one to two washcloths to wipe down the area after spraying it with an all-purpose cleaner. For the inside, use your favorite toilet brush or a clean washcloth to wipe this area down effectively.
- Skip abrasive cleaning products – One way you might not realize you are making your toilet dirtier is by using abrasive cleaning products. While abrasive cleaning products may give the initial wow factor of a job well done, they are doing long-term damage. These cleaning products are filled with chemicals that can work to break down the materials of your toilet. This can cause your toilet to look dirtier faster. Instead, opt for bathroom-friendly cleaning products that clean without causing damage!